Wednesday 4 July 2012

Our greatest strengths are our greatest weaknesses

The world is based on balance; for every negative there is a positive, for every wrong there is a right and for every strength, a weakness! We all have our strengths and weaknesses but the complicated part is that sometimes our greatest strengths can be our greatest weaknesses. I guess it all depends on the viewpoint.


Taken from legaljob.com
I would have to say that my greatest strength as a person is that I have a mind and mouth and I’m not afraid to use them. I’m often outspoken and have no fear to say what others are thinking. I believe that as long as I am honest and speak the truth, there is no way anyone can persecute me fairly. However, on the other side of the coin, people don’t always want to hear the truth, especially if it isn’t so pretty. I’ve found that my strength and integrity in speaking my mind can sometimes be my greatest weakness. For example, elders never want to hear the truth from someone they deem less experienced than them and so I often get shut down and told that I should learn when to speak and when not to. Another strength that can be double sided for me is my academic side. I always strive to do the best possible work I can so that I may achieve top results, however, this becomes a weakness when I am sitting up all hours of the morning trying to complete a deadline that should have taken the average student four hours but takes me eight!

Even our country’s greatest strength has turned into its greatest weakness. Hold the pitchforks because yes I am talking about our government. The ANC once stood for all that was right and helped bring us out of darkness and segregation but now the people that they once fought for are being robbed via sky-high inflation, false promises and corruption.

The point is that everything has balance, and too much of a strength or inappropriate use of a strength can make it turn into a weakness. This makes me think of a quote from Shakespeare which applies to dictators but also our strengths; “ Absolute power corrupts absolutely”.... Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment