Tuesday 24 July 2012

My top 200 achievements...

Somehow I think that this blog topic was designed as a clever little ruse to make all of us realise that we actually haven’t achieved much of significance in our lives. I sat for about two hours trying to think of my top 200 achievements and got stuck on number 112. I have to admit that after going over them again I realised that being born is not really an achievement, neither is getting my first tooth or turning 21. My list started looking sadder and sadder as I weeded out all the “so-called” achievements that shouldn’t really classify as such. I could help but wonder, ‘What constitutes a proper achievement?’

According to Dictionary.com (2012), the proper definition of an achievement is that it is something accomplished, especially by superior ability, special effort or great courage. Other definitions mentioned the factor of skill playing a part as well as completing something. So an achievement has to be achieved through working for it or stepping up to the plate. Bad news, this definition caused more of my “achievements” to be crossed off the list.

So here they are (well what is left of them)... The things that I have accomplished through my superior ability, skill, special effort and courage. These are my achievements:

1.      Learning to ride a bicycle.

2.      Learning to read and write, well.

3.      Buying an electric guitar and amp with my own savings.

4.      Achieving my first couple of certificates in primary school after realising I had an academic ability.

5.      Learning how to ride and then jump a horse.

6.      Learning how to surf and then excelling at it.

7.      Learning how to play the piano and guitar.

8.      Receiving gold honours for my creative writing at a Creative Writing Eisteddfod.

9.      Receiving the top marks of my class in grade 7, my final year of primary school.

10.   Becoming a prefect in grade 7.

11.   Becoming more comfortable and self confident as I entered high school (No more bullying from dumb kids).

12.   Passing my learners licence.

13.   Getting an A for my first painting.

14.   Joining the girls soccer team and becoming a leader who eventually helped the team stay in practice.

15.   Passing my driver’s licence first time!

16.   Remaining in the top 10 academics of my grade throughout high school.

17.   Receiving the top achievement for visual art in matric.

18.   Becoming a prefect in high school.

Organising a successful awards event in matric.
19.  

20.   Achieving my academic honours.

21.   Achieving my academic colours.

22.   Taking part in Mr and Miss Table View High (took courage to get up on stage in front of the whole school.)

23.   Being voted as a cheerleader for my sports house in high school and then pulling off an insane cheerleading routine on sports day.

24.   Being accepted into three universities.

25.   Travelling on my own for the first time to London.

26.   Learning to love and accept myself for who I am.

27.   Learning how to be compassionate and appreciative of the little things in life.

28.   Becoming a god mother.

29.   Winning a place in the top 10 for my speech in second year university.

30.   Winning the “Best Magazine Cover” in first year.

31.   Planning and pulling of the most amazing 60th Hippy birthday party for my mom.

32.   Achieving the Dean’s Merit List for three consecutive years in university.

33.   Top Achievement for End User Computing in first year.

34.   Maintaining my “A” aggregate for each year of university.

35.   Helping organise and pull off an awesome luncheon event for the PR industry in my first year of university.

36.   Winning the best exhibition stall for CPUT Open Day in my first year.

37.   Succeeding at my first proper job in the PR field and learning my capabilities through producing good marketing materials and campaign ideas as well as helping organise major on-campus events.

38.   Writing, editing and putting together my first university newspaper – the Hub.

39.   Getting my written article published as the main feature story on CPUT’s website.

40.   Getting my National Diploma Cum Laude in Public Relations Management.

There they are... not 200, but 40 greatest achievements. I don’t have very many achievements but I have more than most people at my age and so I am proud of what I have accomplished thus far. I plan to accomplish a lot more in my near future!
Taken from motifake.com




No comments:

Post a Comment